Monday, March 18, 2019

Too subtle?

Twenty-some years ago, when I was living in Athens, Georgia, I was standing outside one of my favourite eateries on Atlanta Highway when a pickup truck with Barrow County plates (two counties over from Athens/Clarke County) pulled up to the kerb and the driver hailed me: "Hey, 'scuse me... This here a Chai-neeze restaurant?"

I glanced at my surroundings, wondering what could possibly have given it away.






I can't remember if I managed a "Yessir" or merely an "Uh-huh", but Observant Barrow County Pickup Man thanked me and drove off. (Possibly to make inquiries about bear candles...)

  

Jessa and I are just returned from Georgia, and over the next few days, I'll be posting photos from a few other Athens-area landmarks. Not near as many as I had hoped; this was an ill-starred trip that saw the car break down in inconvenient and expensive fashion and then the two of us rendered equally useless from flu. (The "Bad Day" video was actually posted on our best day of the trip.) By the time Jess took this last picture, I wasn't sure if we were stalking Mr. Black or if he was stalking us.


No comments: