Tuesday, August 22, 2017

An open letter


To: The engineering firm of Newton, Kepler, & Halley

Gentlemen,

I write to congratulate you on the success of yesterday's programme. You will no doubt be pleased to know that the eclipse was very well received by the public, and while there were, inevitably, a few cynical detractors ("a hell of a lot of fuss for two minutes' shade" was overheard at one point during the festivities), their mutterings were lost amongst the huzzahs, the cheers of "bravo" and "bravissimo".

This positive reception emboldens me to make a suggestion, or at least a request. Now, I am aware that as engineers your primary concern is for the workings of the planetary system, that the beauty of mathematical truth must for you shine so much brighter than the merely aesthetic beauty experienced by the lay public, but the phenomenon is so ineffably pretty that...well, frankly, it's a pity it doesn't happen with greater frequency. I'm not asking you to move heaven and earth...no, on reflection, I suppose that's exactly what I'm asking...but might we do it again soon?

Respectfully,

An appreciative citizen

No comments: